Saturday 19 April 2014

An Adventure Evening

Some of my friends planned for a visit to an adventure park located in Vianden, Luxembourg on 12 Apr 2014. Since I was not completely recovered from my joint pains, I was pretty sure that in no way I can be part of the trip. Just the previous day, one of my very grood friends was telling me that she also wanted to go there. But she was looking for some one to form a group, since the others already did their reservations online. Something was pestering me inside to take the chance and to try out the adventures. With a blind hope and pseudo-confidence lying inside me, we did our registrations.

With great hesitations, fear and meagre confidence, I was gearing up for the trip packing all necessary stuffs. It was not just my health which was my concern but also ACROPHOBIA-fear of heights. I had this very very big fear of heights from my childhood. I used to fear for everything from jumping from a wall or a loft to any high rides in theme parks. But this time, I had no clue of how it gonna be and how I gonna manage.

Vianden is one of the small and beautiful towns of Luxembourg. I had been there once in winter when nut market was there. That time we had a nice time playing balloon shooting with nuts and eating walnuts, waffles, cakes and pancakes. One more attraction of the city is the 'Castle of Vianden', which is one of the beautiful monuments of the Grand Duche. Though I had witnessed its view all around, I am yet to take a look inside.

Finally we reached the park located in the uphill 10 minutes walk away from the downtown. My friends were sarcastically telling "Indians at Indian Forest" and mocking since the name of the park is "Indian Forest". But no body there knew why they named it as 'Indian Forest'! We were 'all set' wearing ropes, glove and along with few other groups we were briefed with the instructions and saftey informations. My friends were translating us word by word, since the instructor was briefing in French.

There were 6 levels/stages of courses - Purple, Yellow, Blue, Red, Green and Black. We paid courses till Green and we started with Yellow. There were two safety hooks and one roller(for roping) in the safety jacket. Each and every step we take, atleast one of the hooks of the jacket need to be hooked in the clamp of the ride. Initially it sounded silly but after going through couple of rides, I made sure I was following instructions properly.

It was a complete adventure turned fun with my friends. Walking in the ropes, gliding along ropes-front and back, walking in the logs of wood and a lot more. It was the final point of the green level, where you have to jump with a rope in hand and catch the rope net on the other side and climb up.It is just like the one they show in military and police training. I never ever imagined I could do that. I had the fear. I was holding the rope and every one started counting down. I jumped for the zero call. Oh my Kadavule/OMG! And after a deadly breath, I got the hold of the rope net the other side. Shhhhhh! But my fingers were really tired when I was getting the hold of the net. It was hardly 4 or 5 steps you have to climb, but I was completely exhausted. After all I am not a spiderman to climb like anything. I decided to give up and climb down. But the rope in the middle to which I was hooked was so short so that I can't reach the floor. At one point I just released my hold with the rope net and the terrible thing happened then. I was hanging upside down and swinging like a pendulum. Terrible moment! But I really loved and enjoyed that very moment and realised I am no more acrophobiac. Huhaaa! I was hanging right in the middle for 5 minutes until the instructor helped me out in getting down.

It was almost 5.30 in the evening. Though all of us were really tired at this point, we never gave up and we geared up towards the next sliding adventure. This time we have to slide along the ropes tied between distant trees. Good that we didn't miss this part of the park. I really enjoyed the final 30 minutes. One of the task is to slide for almost 350 metres. Wow! I had the bird's eye view of the city while sliding. It was a pleasure experience which even now I am not sure I can get it once more. More than the adventure, it was pleasure enjoying it friends making sounds and cheering each other. I am sure it was a never again adventure experience.

It was definitely these guys- Monique, Kordu, Olivia and Sinu, who made my day so awesome and unforgettable. On the way back we were sent off by a cute cat 'Miko', who came to us fearing for another dog. The day ended with a delicious dinner and wonderful music at Ancien Cinéma Café Club located in the heart of the town.

Oh! I told you that I got joint pains. Right!? I totally forgot it and it completely went away on this day after staying for almost 2 months and half!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gowthaman,
    i came across your,blog while looking for Indians in Luxembourg.i belong to delhi and my and i will be moving to Luxembourg in July this year. Could you please possibly guide me about indian community in Luxembourg and how easy/difficult would it be to settle there..i have a lot of questions to ask and i hope you might be able to help..is there a mail id that you could give me so i could contact you there.. Sorry for,the trouble..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Below is the facebook link of Indian Association Luxembourg!
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/20446615968/
      Feel free to ask your doubt there to anyone! I will also able to help you. You can mail me j.gowthaman@gmail.com

      Delete