Sunday 18 August 2013

Treasures Unearthed

I still remember my High School 6th grade lesson titled 'What I found in my Pocket?' by GK Chesterton. Thanks to my English teacher at that time - Mrs.Meenakshi. Her way of articulating stories in classes and method of teaching made the lessons unforgettable.

Like how GKC narrates the memories he recalls when he was looking at each of the things from his pocket, I also had similar one when I was seeing some of the things I found in my room. These are those which I used once, but now these are like a expensive treasures.


Discovering and checking out for our own possessions from our room always ends up bringing in some sweet memories. Maintaining an inventory of things is always difficult. Things which were considered of no use once are seen as treasures now. Here are few things I found on my recent search.



#1 - Old floppy disks

Zip disk and floppy disk are no more usable objects. We are now running behind semiconductor devices of sizes ranging from GBs till TBs. With such technological advancements happening every day, floppy disks of 1.44Mb size are now a show cased object and no more an usable one practically. 

#2 - CD-ROM player of the old computer

Compact Discs and drive were once a buzz word during later part of 1990s. This one came with the computer, which my dad and uncle got us in 1999. 'Titanic' was the very first movie we tried to play using media player. It took us a long time to understand how to play it using media player. This reminds me so much of memories ranging from installing operating systems to using CD-RW(Rewritable) usage.

#3 - Dial-up Modem

No need to describe about Internet technologies these days. But this MODEM facilitated me to get connected and explore the world in 2000's. One won't forget how this kind of dialup devices would sound when dialing and after getting connected to the network. 56Kbps is the maximum speed supported by this device. But think about the speed that is being offered today.

Apart from Government's VSNL(Videsh Sanchar Nigam Ltd), Dishnet and Sifi were some of the private ISPs(Internet Service Provider) available those time. 

My very first email account is with EIndia.com, which my uncle helped me to create. But those days din't have any FB or Twitter or any social networking sites. So one won't hangout and spend much time in Internet. I even checked my SSLC results and other things using this precious possession.

Looking back at our olden days is always a pleasure!!

No comments:

Post a Comment